Labels are for Pickle Jars,
While there is truth to that saying,
you’ve probably already found it’s
not real helpful to Google
‘nit-picking’ or ‘catastrophic
thinking.’ The following labels may
help you locate articles and books
that shed light on this condition,
and those who have it.
• Perfectionist Personality Disorder
- while not a medical term, this will
be used most often on this site, as
the most accurate and least confusing description of the issues these people and their loved ones face.
• OCPD aka Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder - the term most in vogue, but leads to understandable confusion with OCD (or worse yet, COPD), which are different conditions altogether.
• APD aka Anankastic Personality Disorder- a blast from the past, currently not used much in the US.
• “Being anal-retentive” - another oldy but goody from Freud, though there’s no real research to suggest that this disorder has anything to do with toilet training.
• Control Freak - a popular layman’s term. (But kind of rude - who wants to be called a freak?)